A healthy vegan version for all empanada lovers!
This was my first time making them and so i’ll be honest they didn’t turn out as pretty as i’d envisioned on my mind but they did turn out super delicious and it’s a great recipe to make when having people over or as part of a a potluck with friends and family because they taste just as good fresh out of the oven and a couple hours later!
For the dough:
- 2 cups of mashed potato ( sweet potato preferred)
- 2 cups of white flour ( I tried with gluten free flour first and couldn’t get good elasticity for the dough)
- ½ a teaspoon of salt
- ½ a teaspoon of turmeric
For the filling:
- 2 cups of cooked black beans
- 2 cups of cooked corn
- One cup of diced onions
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of cooking oil
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- A dash of black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- First boil the potatoes whole until they are really soft and the skin starts to peel off. Remove them from heat, peel out the skin and mash them until no little pieces remains. ( this is the most important part to have a good dough to work with)
- Next mix the potatoes with the flour, salt and turmeric and massage it until all the ingredients and integrated and you get an elastic dough. ( if you grab it with both hands and pull in opposite directions it should stretch out a little before it breaks into two pieces)
- Put the dough aside
For the filling:
- In a saucepan, place the onions with the oil and stir on medium to high heat until golden
- Add the black beans and the corn and mix in the cummin, salt , garlic and pepper
- Stir everything on medium to high heat for another 5 minutes
- Take it out of the heat and let it cool for a little.
Putting it all together
- Make little balls with pieces of the dough and press on them until they become flat
- With a spoon fill up ⅓ of the empanada dough with the filling and fold it shut
- With a little fork you can press the edges shut
Once you have the empanadas ready place in the oven for 15-20 minutes until edges are golden
One mistake I made was not having a super smooth mashed potatoes so my dough didn’t look as smooth. If you’d like a smooth dough make sure the mashed potatoes are smooth 🙂 Maybe you can use a blender to help!
I hope you enjoy!! If you’re making this recipe with someone maybe someone can work on the dough while someone works on the filling and it’ll be super fast to prepare everything!
Learning & Growing