Do you know your body type?
I have to admit I didn’t until recently. Getting to know your body might seem like a no brainer, we’ve been living in the same body since as long as we can remember right? Yet, most of us overlook the importance and convenience of really understanding why our own unique body functions the way it does. Why we react to certain foods? Crave different things? Or are more prone to feeling cold or hot?
The main benefit of getting to know my own body better throughout this journey has been the benefit of giving my body what it needs in order for it to function its best. It also allows me to have sympathy for my body and respond to it with kindness. So I guess I can say it’s helped promote self love.
Anyways, I just wanted to share how meaningful this has been for me and i’m excited for you to discover you body type as well.
What is a body type?
This is based on the Ayurvedic principles. The definition of Ayurveda is “the traditional Hindu system of medicine, which is based on the idea of balance in bodily systems and uses diet, herbal treatment, and yogic breathing.” ( Dictionary)
This system carries the belief that there are 3 main body types (Doshas) Based on the five elements. The three body types: Vata, Pitta and Kappa, are composed of a blend of physical, emotional and mental characteristics.
Everyone is said to identify primarily with one of the 3 types and that Dosha will be your dominant one.
Ayurveda beliefs states that living a lifestyle that supports your body type, is the key to living a harmonious healthy life.
Which body type are you?
I’ll write down the characteristics and recommendations of each Dosha below, but I also invite you to take this Quiz to easily identity what Body type you are :
Vata is associated with the late fall/early winter season.
These terms are associated with it: Cold, Dry. Light, Swift, Mobile, Irregular and Rough
-Thin frame, long fingers, smaller mouths
-Dry hair, skin and lips
-Irregularity in bones and teeths
– Cold hands and feet
-Very active mind
-Irregular menstrual cycles
-creative mind full of ideas
Vata family you are this creative being that loves new experiences! Sometimes life and our choices in food can affect us and throw us out of balance so here are some ways you can harmonize your life again:
- Light exercises that enhance balance and flexibility
- Ginger tea to bring heat into the body and help things flow
- Touch and be touched by people ( hugs, massages…
- Warm colors in your clothing and environment
- Sweet and warm aromas : Cinnamon, citrus, basil, vanilla
- Hot spices : Cummin, ginger, garlic, basil
- Stick to things that taste sweet salty and sour
- All nuts are recommended
- Fewer dry fruits, more heavy fruits like bananas, avocados and mangos
Pitta is associated with the summer season.
These terms are associated with it: Hot, Oily, Light, Liquid, Mobile, Sharp, Soft, Smooth
-Medium size build
-sensitive to heat and humidity
-Extremities have good circulation and are hot
– Regular menstrual cycle with heavy bleeding
-Skin is warm, reddish, soft.
– Become irritable if skips meal
– Overheat during sleep
-Powerful, clear, focus minded
-prone to inflammation of muscles
Pitta people, you are energy! Your main function is transformation and the way you can do what you do best is by being in balance. So here are some tips for you:
- Balance rest and activity
- Don’t skip meals
- Spend time in nature
- Favor cooler colors in your environment and clothing
- Favor cooling and sweet aromas: rose, mint, lavender
- Laugh and let out your energy by expressing yourself
- Olive, sunflower and coconut oils are greta
- Reduce sour fruits
- Vegetables: cucumbers, potatoes, green leafy vegetables
- Seasonings should be cooling: cilantro, coriander, fennel
Kapha is related to late winter/early spring season.
These terms are associated with it: Cool, Wet, Oily, Heavy, Dense, Static, Stable
-Large and strong frame
-tendency to gain weight
-soft thick oily hair
-doesn’t like cold damp environments
-slower bowel movements
-clammy hands and feet
-resistance towards change
-tendency to get colds and congestion
Kapha you are strong and protective both emotionally and physically. Your strength is admired and your fun, loving personality is easily liked by many. Here are some recommendations for you to feel your best!
- New experiences help you to stay motivated
- Stay warm and avoid dampness
- Clearing your space and avoiding cluttered room
- Regular exercise
- Favor colors that are warm and bright
- Drink hot ginger tea with meals
- Eat beans
- All spices are good but reduce salt
- Reduce consumptions of nuts and seeds
- Favor lighter fruits like apples, pears, pomegranates
I hope this was a fun way of learning one more thing about yourself, and if you already knew your Dosha, then maybe you learned something new about it?
I’m curious to know what body types you associated with! Comment below 🙂
Learning & Growing,